Set up for a photo shoot on the Pont Alexandre in Paris, France

Saturday, February 6, 2010

24 Hours in New York City

This article by the New York Times crammed the coolest things to do in the Big Apple during a short 36-hour weekend trip. Last Sunday I had to make an even shorter trip to NYC, so I thought I'd try documenting my own 24-hour adventure.

6 p.m.
1.) Arrival

This was the first time I actually drove into the city, so I was relieved when I finally pulled into the parking garage on 3rd Ave. and East 90th. I was quite sure my car would be in at least 50 pieces by the time I landed in Manhattan. I imagined by meticulously packed Theory dress pants, Burberry scarves and J. Crew tops flying just like all those Hermès scarves in the traffic scene of "The Devil Wears Prada".

8 p.m.
2.) Upper East Side

I came into New York on the night of the Grammy's, so unfortunately I wasn't clinking champagne glasses at Tenjune or Pink Elephant. I was fine grabbing dinner at a great gourmet restaurant up the street, Milano Gourmet, and watching Beyoncé and Taylor Swift clean house.

8 a.m.
3.) Upper East Side

The thing about New York that most fascinated me as a child was the apartments -- or the people who lived in them. I just thought it was amazing that people actually lived in New York City. I am very lucky to have a friend in New York who graciously allows me to stay at her apartment when I have to come into the city last minute, and I absolutely love the view from her guest room. At night, it sparkles with light from neighboring apartment buildings, which still fascinate me. In the morning, it's bursting with sunlight and in the summer I go out on the terrace (yes, she has a terrace in the middle of Manhattan) to have coffee.

11:30 p.m.
4.) Park Avenue

I love, love, love walking down Park Avenue. I left the apartment where I was staying and walked down to 85th St. before hailing a cab through Central Park to get to lunch on the West Side. (OK, this is also because I'm broke. But I could still choose my route!) It's one of my favorite places to people watch -- every woman is flawlessly dressed from head to toe. I feel like I'm walking in one of those chicklit novels like "Bergdorf Blondes" or "The Nanny Diaries".

12 p.m.
5.) Midtown

I had lunch with a woman who recently discovered this great little eatery that I now love, too. It's called Gina la Fornarina. For you West Siders, go to the one we visited at 279 Amsterdam Ave. (between 73rd and 74th). For the East Siders, don't worry! They have a second location on 1575 2nd Ave. I had a delicious bruschetta panini and, in the middle of the day, the "Chocolate Bomb," which is a chocolate soufflé cake with vanilla ice cream. I couldn't resist. Oops.

2:30 p.m.
5.) ???

This part of my day is Top Secret, and while I can't give you the full details I will tell you that during a mad scurry to find a restroom I noticed that there are still ice skaters at Rockefeller Center! For some reason, I thought that stopped after Christmas.


4 p.m.
6.) Columbus Circle

My favorite building in New York will always be Hearst Tower. Aside from the fact that it's absolutely gorgeous (and environmentally friendly!), it's the building where I had my first big magazine internship at CosmoGirl. I still remember coming out of the subway in the middle of Columbus Circle on my first day and walking toward the triangular building until I was standing right in front of it. I had just seen the Sex & the City movie the night before, and who did I pass on the street? Cynthia Nixon. I love New York. I came here to visit my friends at O, The Oprah Magazine, where I interned last summer.

5:30 p.m.
7.) West Village

In honor of NYC's famous Magnolia Bakery opening in Dubai, I just had to grab a quick bite of deliciousness before I left the city. If you know someone in New York and want to send him or her a gift, go to Magnolia Bakery. If you're having a bad day, go to Magnolia Bakery. Even if you're on a diet, go to Magnolia Bakery. It's totally worth it. (Some people think they're too "New York" to go to Magnolia because it's "touristy". A) Who cares? It's yummy. B) If you fall into this category, try the cannolis at Rocco's on Bleecker St. They're great, too, and no one knows about it but snarky New Yorkers like you.)

Au revoir, New York! I'll be back after graduation. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment